Thread: Automate every repetitive action in your life

1. #1 Automate every repetitive action in your life 
    This is my most recent obsession. I'm sure that many of you have already heard of IF this THEN that. But for you noobs out there, I'm starting a thread. If this then that creates actions based on events. For instance, if the weather is going to be crummy tomorrow morning when I wake up at 5am, I want a push message to let me know. Why? Because at 5am I'm too groggy to remmeber to check the weather until I walk outside... and get soaked in rain. Dumb example, but you get it.

Now, you can always program something... but if this then that is about 10x easier, and you don't have to worry about running the program 24/7.

Do you ever need to post website updates to Twitter/Facebook? Do you ever check eBay, Bestbuy, Nike, for product changes? Do you regularly check craigslist? Do you need to auto shorten urls to Bit.ly?

Instead of doing these things, you can automate them. Through a nice online control panel.

IFTTT has a collection of pre-made recipes so you don't even have to set them up.

Your recipe will run every 15 minutes. So, this isn't instant, but its free. I wouldn't use it for anything that needs to be instant (like auto-buying for price changes), but its perfect for other stuff.

----------

Similar services: The best apps. Better together. - Zapier - Zapier (free but limited number of tasks)
    Hybrid Integration Platform - elastic.io (paid)
    Need a reason to be active on CN?

Newbies - Get started in affiliate marketing here. Then start generating traffic.

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain..." - The Book of Five Rings

IFTTT is incredibly powerful, though I haven't really taken much use of its ability. The only thing I've used it far so far is to receive notifications when private torrent trackers or usenet indexers open up invitations (via tracking certain keyword triggers on Reddit).

I've been following this closely. I want to integrate IFTTT with some of my home tasks, and I've been wanting to upgrade my home tech for a while... You can use it with both Alexa and Google Home
    Connect Google Assistant to hundreds of other services - IFTTT
    Connect Amazon Alexa (US, UK only) to hundreds of other services - IFTTT

I was thinking about getting a Pixel phone, so leaning toward Google... either way, it's a pretty sweet deal that they tapped into the home automation market. Maybe I can use it to take care of my fish! (lol)

Need a reason to be active on CN?

Newbies - Get started in affiliate marketing here. Then start generating traffic.

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain..." - The Book of Five Rings