Thread: Cheating Network Rebirth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Cheating Network Rebirth! 
    Cheating Network is back!

Yep, its been a while.

As you can see, we were able to salvage 77,765 threads, 734,054 posts , and 31,990 members. We weren't able to salvage everything. For instance, thread IDs aren't the same as they used to be (so old links won't work).

No, we haven't finished cleaning everything up. It will take a bit before we have all the usergroups sorted out, all the old plugins back, etc.

If you were an original CN user from 2011 or earlier, your account log-in information should work. If you've forgotten your log-in information, our email recovery system is working again. However, if an email from CN doesn't show up in your inbox, check your SPAM folder.

What happened?

If you aren't a veteran user, CN's server was accidentally wiped. If I remember right it was late 2012. It was tragic. Unfortunately, there wasn't a recent backup database available. The only backup database the staff had was from a little earlier back in 2011. However, the database was corrupted. The admins tried their best, but they dismissed the backup as a lost cause. Then, Chewy sold the site.

Server costs were too high to maintain the 'recovered' forum (after the crash). The community waited around to see if the old database could be restored. We tried our best, but the database seemed like a goner.

Then we tried again.

I had gotten an urge to bring the community back. So, we gave it one more go on the database and the CN community.

It was extremely time intensive and not easy. It took over 2 months to find patterns in the database ...18 separate SQL scripts later, Aqueous restored the majority of the database. And here we are.

The time estimates that we gave some of you were completely off... There were just too many problems we ran into and we were too optimistic about the progress we could make.

What does the future hold?

Even today there are places that occasionally whisper of an ancient forum called CN. CN is a legend and its former glory will never be forgotten.

CN will start releasing bots again. Our new Admin, Aqueous, is a damn good coder. When we finish cleaning up the forums, he is dying to code and release a bot.

Once we've gained some traction, the subscribers section will be re-opened and revitalized. Members that become active and valuable in this early period of 'rebirth,' will be rewarded with a free sub. Maybe a few months, maybe permanent.

As long as we can maintain functionality (and users are in support), we want to upgrade to a newer software. (Personally, I like Xenforo)

In the more distant future, we want to modernize the market place and design a new system for coders.

Our number one priority are the users. Years ago, CN changed my life forever. It opened my eyes to a new way of thinking about the world. I still have a box or two of free stuff from Gilt / Club Bing in my closet. The CN chatbox hooked me up with valuable connections. I learned about hidden corners of the interwebz...

We want to continue to change the lives of the users that used to call CN their home and many more users that never had the chance to join the CN community.

You can help

In order to rebuild CN, we're going to need the help of our old users (and new users). Spread the word. We aren't asking you to go out spamming about CN on all the forums you're active in... But tell your friends. Drop a word about us in your favorite Skype chat. Add CN to your signature in another forum. Tweet about us. Etc.

Have you done anything significant to bring old/new users to CN? PM me about it.

If you notice we are missing something you liked about the old CN, let us know in THIS suggestions thread. If you find any bugs in the forum because of the restoration, please also keep them to this thread.

If an important thread is full of broken links (because of the new link structure after the restore), please report the thread. Because of the way the database had to be repaired and the way the import works, the IDs for users, threads, and posts are different than the original version of CN which alters the link structure. This means links on the site back to CN threads will not link correctly. We can try to re-link something on a thread if we think its important.

Rules

Until we write a new Rules page, we will be abiding by the same rules CN used to use. I don't see us changing the rules dramatically any time soon. However, because of the circumstances we need to make a few changes/specifications.

Gravediving: Considering that its 2016 and the most recent posts are from 2011, this is going to be an obvious problem. You are allowed to bump your own threads (including B/S/T ), but DO NOT bump threads in which you are NOT the OP.

Subs: Do not talk about the Sub section or mention old subs. We're starting fresh with that.

Usernames: There will not no username changes for a while because that could make things too confusing.

Accounts: If you have already registered with CN please do not create a new account. Instead, try to recover your old account. If you are having trouble, let an Admin know.

Most importantly: we don't want to hear any bitching or negative attitudes on the forum.

The server

We aren't sure how CN's current server is going to handle the new load. We suspect that we will need to upgrade soon. As we are getting $0 revenue from the site, and its taken a large amount of time and a good bit of money to bring CN back, please be patient. However, if you're getting terrible load speeds, report it.

Update your CN email

If you've been able to log into CN, go update your email in your account settings. Most people aren't using the same email address they did 4-8 years ago. This is in case you need a password reset, get locked out of your account, or need to confirm your identity.

Additionally

If you want, we are allowing anyone to re-post in the Introduce Yourself forum. I'm sure a lot of stuff has changed since you last logged onto CN. Let us know about it!

We are working to eliminate confusion about OLD topics/threads/stickied threads/administration.

All previous forum mini-mods, moderators, super moderators, and staff members have been demoted. Its been several years, we're not sure who will end up returning and who will end up being active. If you had contributor/mod/admin status and are interested in actively building CN, we would like to see your active participation in the forums.

Searching CN isn't working very well yet. Google de-indexed all CN threads after the site went off-line, and almost nothing is currently indexed, so don't try Google searching anything. Additionally, with new thread IDs Google is going to hate us for a while. Searching the forums with the built-in bar is currently throwing errors if you use words that are too common.

Users that were filtered into an OG User status should have chatbox access now. We will consider opening up chatbox access to general or senior members for a while if it would be a nice incentive.

If you are having account problems that you can't resolve, please contact me through PM or visitor message.

If you have any questions about this announcement or CN in general, respond in this thread.

Aqueous and I are both busy people, especially at this time since we are still making a lot of forum modifications. We may not respond immediately to low priority PMs -- but we'll do our best.

Tl;Dr

We're back! The site looks like an ancient relic from 2011! SO, lets get back to it!

Yeah, CN is back into the game , Good luck mate

Nat, who are you? ..and who is Aqueous?

Quote Originally Posted by MiLk View Post
    Nat, who are you? ..and who is Aqueous?
    Aqueous is one of my best friends. Read about him here.

You'd remember me as MP

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Aqueous is one of my best friends. Read about him here.

You'd remember me as MP
    Lmao ur the nigga who rekt the site

Where all da bitches at

Quote Originally Posted by Wat View Post
    Lmao ur the nigga who rekt the site

Where all da bitches at
    I'm glad you haven't changed a bit

It's been eons since the site has been back. I thought it was honestly dead for good. Excellent to see tings back

Feels weird to think stuff from 2011 with all its memes and slang and stuff is far back enough that see it seeing it again now feels like a time capsule.

I wish you luck

Damn MP back finally, good to see it bro. Hope CN can return to its former glory, hasn't been the same in this scene since it went down

Ain't this a classic? I'm surprised the database could be restored. Brings back memories, lol. Live search club + the value of bitcoins being in the dollars.