Thread: Automate your social networking for free with IFTTT

1. #1 Automate your social networking for free with IFTTT 
    I just posted this thread Automate every repetitive action in your life

But, I figured I would also post a short tutorial on how to apply this to social media. Managing social media for multiple websites sucks. For real. Constantly updating facebook, twitter, pinterest, etc. I want to make one point very clear to start off with: you cannot beat real human posts with automation. But, there is still benefit.

Google indexes most sites reasonably quickly. But, if you're starting a new site, its important to make sure Google spiders you. One great way is to have social posts.

I'll show you an example by using CN. I want to post all of our new threads to our subreddit, reddit.com/r/cheatingnetwork . And I also want to add them to our Twitter page.

Oh, full disclosure. Never, ever, ever auto-post to Reddit like this unless you own the sub-reddit. You'll get banned so fast for spam.

For reddit, the post titles can essentially be the exact same title as the thread, and it will look somewhat natural. That's good news because it means it won't just look spammy. Now, you may be thinking that you can't use IFTTT for forums and stuff because its not built in. You are correct... sort of. Forum monitoring is not built in to IFTTT. RSS monitoring is. Haha, you probably thought RSS was dead and totally useless at this point.

lol.

If you have a forum you can pretty easily add RSS to it through the admin panel. If you have a blog, you can EASILY add an RSS feed, lots of blogs have them anyways by default.

So, once you have a feed, go to IFTTT and create something like this for the trigger. Trigger a every time a new item is added to the RSS feed.

And then set the action to something like this

Now, every time your RSS feed is updated, you'll get an auto-post. Some RSS feeds are set to cache every hour+, so you might want to change to 5-15 minutes. Or, IFTTT will check every 15 and won't fire for several runs because the RSS is still cached.

Now for Twitter. I don't really want to spam twitter. I could do the exact same thing with Twatter that I did with reddit, but for the sake of example we'll spice it up.

Taking thread (post) (page) titles could work for Twitter, but l would rather let the Twitter users know that we've updated our Reddit. So, we'll take the reddit posts and throw them into a Twat. I'll use the Cheating Network (@CNdotnet) | Twitter All you have to do is this:

I keep a disclosure that its 'via Reddit' (its obvious from the link) so that its pretty clear it was auto-posted. I think its better to leave that type of disclosure than try and auto-post lots and lots and hope your spam doesn't look like spam.

IFTTT is pretty versatile, but its not as robust as would be 'ideal.' You'll have to code your own bots if you want to add things like custom hash tags, etc. But, you can always add 'permanent' hashes (like #Cheating or #exploits or #bots) that will stay on every tweet. You might want to add one exclusive tag for every one of your reddit to twitter posts. Like #CNReddit.
    Need a reason to be active on CN?

Newbies - Get started in affiliate marketing here. Then start generating traffic.

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain..." - The Book of Five Rings

And, here it is in action. I just checked Reddit and this thread is up.

Checked Twatter and its not up just yet.

Edit: Its up

Need a reason to be active on CN?

Newbies - Get started in affiliate marketing here. Then start generating traffic.

"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain..." - The Book of Five Rings